Monday, January 2, 2012

House full of love

I love listening to my children play together, laughing and using their imagination.  The boys will save a sucker or cookie for their sibling, or will bring a special treat home if they go on a trip or get to go into the "treasure chest" at school.  Watching one help the other with a seat belt or get P.J.'s on is so heartwarming as they are showing God's love by watching out for one another.  Knowing they will have each other after my husband and I are gone is a comfort.

I think a sibling's love is special, unlike a parent or grandparent's love.  They have a confidante; someone they can ask opinions of and tell secrets to.  A shoulder to cry on and when needed a cheerleader to help keep them going when times are tough.  A partner in crime when they explore life with wonder.  An audience to laugh at them when they are being a clown.  While friends may come and go, their siblings will always be there.

Their various personalities are so unique.  While they definitely resemble each other in appearance, they tend to have different traits both physically as well as personality wise.  Some are tall and thin, while the other two are more stocky.  One is always bouncing all over the place, never walking but always running.  His oldest brother was the same way at that age.  The Princess is headstrong, knowing what wants and not afraid to climb all over things to get it.  It's been so much fun so far seeing how they all change over the years, I'm looking forward to seeing them continue to grow and change in the years to come.

I agree with Pope John Paul II when he said "the greatest gift you can give your child is another sibling."
Having a child with special needs, I can see first hand how having siblings both older and younger have helped him to develop social skills as well as coping skills.  You've always got someone to "watch your back".  They all share toys and books, read to each other, and do chores together.  It's always more fun to do work with a group than by yourself.

Growing up I envied the friends who had multiple siblings and large families.  Their houses always seemed busy, fun, and a bit crazy.  Now I feel I have the same and while it can be trying at times, it is a house full of love and laughter.  I feel so blessed that God entrusted these souls to me.  I am eternally thankful. 



Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
~Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment