Sunday, January 8, 2012

Gifts

It was mentioned today about how God gives us gifts and talents.  I've been in discussions about this topic before and I think it's definitely something that is worthwhile contemplating;
"Do I fully recognize and use the gifts and talents that God has bestowed on me?".  Oftentimes it can be more difficult to recognize these in ourselves but we see them in others. 

I've taught religious awards in Boy Scouts and this is one of the topics.  There is an exercise where each person has to write what gifts and talents they see in their peers.  Of course with 5 teenage boys, there is no telling what you're going to get.  But when they really pause to think about it, they can see some great things in each other.  Usually it ranges from being smart to being good in sports.  While these are wonderful talents, they are not the only gifts that we receive.  They may be the most obvious if someone does well in school or is a star on the football team, but the Holy Spirit has given us gifts through confirmation that take more time to identify.

I feel that I have a talent of teaching children of all ages.  I can relate to the little ones up to the big kids.  I've taught elementary kids in Cub Scouts and Religious Education and the bigger boys religious awards in Boy Scouts.  I love teaching ideas through discussion and examples and love it when you can see something click in a child.  You can literally see it all over their face.  They have made the connection and their eyes light up, they usually sit up straight, mouth open, and are literally absorbing in what you are saying.  They get it. 


However, while I feel I have the talent of teaching, I wish I had more of the gift of wisdom and understanding.  I feel I have had to work hard to understand some concepts of the faith. It has taken me a journey of 37 years to make the connection on some concepts, while others seem to just be born with the natural gift of understanding and the ability to use it.  This is something I feel I need to pray about more; to more fully be able to use the spiritual gifts that were given to me.

Although not a spiritual gift, I have noticed, especially recently as I've joined Toastmasters, that my speeches generally tend to be motivational. I consider myself a pretty positive person, generally seeing the bright side of things, realizing that God has a plan, and as the saying goes, seeing the glass as half full.  As I've been presenting more and more in Toastmasters, my speeches tend to be positive in nature, typically reflecting on determination and success stories.  Someone mentioned that I had a future as a motivational speaker.  While I think that was quite an embellishment, I was honored that they recognized that in me.  I am trying to figure out if this is what God wants me to do.  Not necessarily to be a national motivational speaker, traveling across the world spreading my thoughts, but maybe there is someone at these weekly meetings that is benefiting from what I'm saying.

I believe God puts people in your life at the time you need them.  This was something a favorite instructor said at St. Gregory's College, and I truly do believe it.  People come and go in and out of our lives and I think some are only meant to be in your life for a short period of time.  However, their affects can be everlasting.  That is how this instructor was for me.  I had 2 or 3 classes with her and have not seen her since.  But, the inspirational thoughts she shared during these classes left a permanent impression on me.  Perhaps there is someone in these Toastmaster's meetings that I am able to reach through my speeches and I am just meant to touch their life for a short time. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment