Sunday, January 15, 2012

10 Ways to be a better Dad

I was traveling around the world of blogs, and discovered a blog by a Dad who posted about this pamphlet he received when his son was born.  It is entitled "10 ways to become a better Dad".  I was curious, so I continued to read and really connected with what he posted.  While not all of us are lucky enough to have a Dad like this, I can honestly say, my husband has more than fulfilled this prerequisite.  Even though we are totally different personality wise, we make a good team and he is a wonderful father to our four children.  I feel very blessed that my children will go out into the world knowing what a good father should be like.


Here's the list of the 10 ways to be a better Dad.
1. Respect your children’s mother.
2. Spend time with your children.
3. Earn the right to be heard.
4. Discipline them with love.
5. Be a role model..
6. Be a Teacher.
7. Eat together as a family..
8. Read to your children.
9. Show affection.
10. Realize a father’s job is never done.

I wouldn't argue with any of the points.  I think they covered it all pretty well.  I think a true father should imitate the attributes of God our Father.  Strong yet loving.  Firm yet forgiving.  Wise yet willing to listen.  A man who can help paint a pinewood derby car, go to an orchestra concert at school, chauffeur to and from school, help pick out a girls outfit, watch preschool TV shows, make a Burger King run, help find lost glasses, do the dishes, grocery shop, do the laundry, take a sick kid to the Dr., tolerate family pictures, and read a child a million books is definitely a keeper in my book.  God bless Dads!

No comments:

Post a Comment