Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Confession

Why do we as Catholics take for granted the healing of forgiveness that can be received from going to Confession?  Why do we devoutly follow everything we are supposed to, except for that?  Why do we not encourage our children to go to confession so it becomes a normal practice as they get older?

I admit, I fell into the category of being lax in the confession category myself.  I never had a bad experience or had a tough Priest give me a hard time, but it was not something I ever really embraced until about 10 years ago.  I hadn't been in AGES and was so afraid to go.  But I gathered up my courage and went to a wonderful Msgr. who I just adore.  Instead of asking why I waited so long to go, or give me a hard time about being away from Confession for so long, he was encouraging and supportive. 

I then started going about twice a year, but still didn't fully understand the powerful healing that comes from forgiveness until listening to a Priest's homily one day at daily Mass.  He gave the example of writing all your sins out and then ripping up the paper into shreds.  That is basically what God does when we confess our sins. They are gone, never to be thought of again.  We should no longer beat ourselves up over them or give them a second thought.  God doesn't.

After that homily I vowed that I would start going to confession more frequently.  I made up a little template in very tiny font in Word with what I need to say and the Act of Contrition that I can take in with me.  Now that I go every couple of weeks, I will say, the hesitation and scariness is gone.  I actually look forward to going and feeling God's healing power.


I encourage any Catholic who has been nervous about going and hasn't been in a while, to take the time to go. Do a good examination of conscience and ask for God's forgiveness.  It will heal you in ways you can not imagine. 

   


No comments:

Post a Comment